As the colder (and wetter) weather beds in, we are regularly asked “what do we do if it rains?” by understandably anxious parents organising their child’s birthday party. Our rather annoying response is usually….. “we’ll get wet”, for which we make no apology as rain often improves a survival or mini Olympics party! If, however, your party must be inside, here are a few ideas of great things to do with lots of children in a small indoor space:
Smartie Sucking Championships
- Split the group into two teams
- Give everyone a cup and a straw
- Cover two separated big tables with Smarties
- Each team stands around a table and on ‘GO’ the teams race to get all their Smarties into their cups using suction through the straws only.
Strictly NO HANDS!
3-legged Balloon Burst
This is a noisy one
- Blow up enough balloons for one between two
- Tie a large elastic band around the knot of each balloon
- Get everyone into pairs and give each pair one of the balloons
- Each pair make themselves 3-legged with the elastic band, making sure the balloon is hanging behind their ankles
- When the music starts, each pair has to burst everyone else’s balloons whilst keeping their own intact
- The last team with a balloon wins
Balloon Keepy Uppy
- Very simple, but very good fun
- Blow up masses of balloons
- Everyone has to keep them all off the ground
Strawberry Bootlace Race
- Give everyone a strawberry bootlace
- Get everyone to put one end into their mouth and their hands behind their back
- On ‘GO’ the race begins to eat the bootlace as fast as possible without using their hands
Indoor Assault Course
Turn your house into an obstacle course with tunnels between sofas, bumpy slides down stairs and slalom between chairs. Time individuals or teams to complete the course as quickly as possible. To make it harder, get them to try to race whilst carrying a cup of water, the most water to return to the finish line wins!
- Collect lots of bottles, jars and cans
- Put out bowls of lentils, rice, coins, gravel and sand as well as gaffer tape, coloured card and felt tips pens
- Get everyone to create their own percussion instruments then play some great music for everyone to play along to
Might be worth getting some ear defenders for this!
Find out what Sharky & George are up to at www.sharkyandgeorge.com.