- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sumac
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 organic chicken, jointed
- 1 bulb of garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 150ml/5fl oz/scant 2?3 cup chicken stock
- 400g/14oz tinned artichoke hearts, drained
- ground black pepper
This is such an easy recipe. Everything is simply placed in a roasting pan and slow cooked in the oven, creating an amazing spicy, lemony flavour. Serve leftovers cold for lunch the next day with salad. Globe artichokes are an excellent source of dietary fibre, magnesium and the trace mineral chromium, which is important for balancing blood sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/315°F/Gas 2-3.
- Mix together the paprika, sumac and olive oil in a small bowl. Put the chicken pieces in a roasting tin and add the garlic cloves, lemon quarters and thyme. Pour over the paprika oil and rub it all over the chicken pieces. Drizzle over the stock and season with pepper. Cover the roasting tin with foil and roast for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil from the roasting tin, add the artichoke hearts and turn up the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Roast for a further 30 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked through, then serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Nutritional information per serving:
Carbohydrate 1.4g, of which sugars 0.6g
Fat 27.8g, of which saturates 7g
By Zita West, Eat Yourself Pregnant