Approx. 10 minutes prep, plus marinating
Approx. 35 minutes cooking
- 2 Lyons No.3 Rich & Full-Bodied Coffee Bags
- 200ml freshly boiled water
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 4-6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
For the coffee BBQ sauce:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 3 corn cobs, halved
- Homemade coleslaw (using carrot, red cabbage, parsley and sweet chili sauce)
- Pour the boiling water in a measuring jug and then add the two Lyons Coffee Bags and stir. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper and then leave to brew for 3-4 minutes. Remove the bags, giving them a gentle squeeze and leave the coffee to cool.
- Place the chicken thighs (4-6 depending on your serving size) into a large shallow dish and pour over half of the Lyons Coffee. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Boil the corn cobs in water for 5 minutes before draining and setting them aside.
- To begin cooking, heat the BBQ or griddle pan. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard any remaining marinade) and drizzle over a little oil if using a griddle pan. Place the chicken pieces onto the BBQ or pan, ensuring they are flat before adding the corn cobs.
- Cook the chicken for around 5-7 minutes on each side, until completely cooked through, simultaneously turning the corn frequently. If you are using a griddle pan you may need to do this in two batches.
- Whilst the chicken and corn are cooking, begin making the sauce. In a small saucepan using a low heat, soften the crushed garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes, but do not brown. Once softened, remove from heat.
- Pour in the vinegar and the remainder of the Lyons Coffee then return to the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the vinegar has reduced by half. Stir in the ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and paprika and heat gently until dissolved. Turn up the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy.
- Serve the chicken and corn on a platter drizzled with a little sauce and the rest on the side. Even better with a fresh homemade coleslaw and crusty bread.
* Try swapping chicken for your favourite veggie alternatives and follow the recipe.
* For a different coffee flavour, try using the different blends of Lyons Coffee Bags; No. 2 Light & Smooth, No.3 Rich & Full Bodied and No. 4 Dark & Intense.
* If you have more time to spare, try marinating the chicken the night before, to create a deep, rich coffee and BBQ flavour.
Recipe from Lyons Coffee