Food / 11 July, 2018 / My Baba
A Summer Strawberry Arctic Roll
Preparation time: 20 minutes + freezing
Cooking time: 35 minutes + freezing
Serves: 4 – 6
- 3 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 500ml tub vanilla ice cream, softened
- 300g fresh strawberries, hulled, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Line a 24cm x 32cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk well with a hand-held electric whisk for at least 3 minutes until you have a very pale and thickened mixture that leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture.
- Carefully fold the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract into the egg mixture until well combined. Gently pour the mixture into the Swiss roll tin, and bake for 15 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes until you can handle it. Carefully take the sponge out of the tin on its paper and turn over and remove the parchment. Place on a clean piece of parchment, dusted with caster sugar, and roll up while still warm. Leave to cool rolled up.
- When totally cooled carefully unroll and spread the whole of the surface with the strawberry jam. Spoon the softened ice cream down the long centre of the sponge, then fold over the sponge and secure with the parchment, twisting in the ends of the paper like a Christmas cracker. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up the ice cream.
- Serve cut into slices with extra strawberries on the side.
Recipe and image courtesy of Waitrose.com