Food / 21 May, 2017 / My Baba
Summer Lemon Chicken with Thyme and New Potatoes
An easy one-pot zesty number that’s great for the weekend – it practically cooks itself. With perfect summery flavours adding texture, pretty greens and loads of vitamins, it’s packed with goodness.
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 chicken, jointed (chicken
- thighs, legs and breasts)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 500ml chicken stock
- 500g new potatoes
- ½ cup (80g) fresh peas
- ½ cup (80g) fresh broad beans
- (if available)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 mint sprigs, leaves picked
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the chicken on each side for 5-10 minutes. Turn the heat down a little, add the garlic, onions and leeks, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until softened.
- Pour in the stock and add the new potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender.
- Add the fresh peas and broad beans, if using, and leave to simmer for 3-5 minutes until softened and bright green. Squeeze over the lemon juice and stir through with the mint leaves to serve.
Broad beans are really high in iron and copper, which keeps bones and immune systems healthy
This recipe is taken from Lizzie Loves Healthy Family Food by Lizzie King, published by Trapeze in Hardback and eBook, priced £20/£10.99