Food / 14 November, 2018 / My Baba
Sweet and Comforting Date and Walnut Cake
Makes: 1 cake
Free from soya and dairy
Suitable for vegetarians
Cooking time: 55-60 minutes
Equipment: 20cm/8″ round deep, loose bottom cake tin, parchment lined
Temperature: 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- 200g stoned dates
- 150ml water
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 3 eggs
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g sunflower oil
- 200g Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Icing sugar
- Line a 20cm/8” round deep, loose bottom cake tin with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the dates and water into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and airy.
- Mix in the oil followed by the self-raising flour.
- Stir in the date mixture and walnuts.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Sieve a little icing sugar over the cold cake before serving.
Recipe from Doves Farm