Light and summery these crab cakes are irresistible. I am a complete sucker for crab cakes and these are simply the best ever! Rather immodest I agree, but once you try them I’m sure you’ll become a fan. Made with 100% crab meat and a smattering of chilli and coriander they are quite the most delectable morsels. Easy and quick to make they are delicious with sweet chilli sauce and a spring salad.
Use fresh white, unpasteurized, hand-picked crab meat. I buy mine from ‘The Chelsea Fishmonger’ on Chelsea Green, 250gms costs £9.95. You can order on 02075899432.
- 250gms white crab meat
- 1 red chilli finely diced
- 4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh coriander
- mayonnaise to bind – about 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 100 gm Panko and polenta breadcrumb mix
1. Mix the white crab meat with the coriander and chilli and bind together with the mayonnaise and a good grind of black pepper.
2. Shape into 4 crab cakes and gently place in the breadcrumb and polenta mix making sure all the sides of the cake are covered. Place in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 minutes.
3. Place a splash of grapeseed oil or other non flavoured oil in a frying pan and gently cook on both sides till golden and heated completely through. Eat immediately with oriental slaw and a homemade sweet chilli jam.
250gms makes 4 adult size crab cakes. These crab cakes cannot be frozen and should be eaten on the day of making.
Written by the wonderful Joanna Preston of Larder Saga. Check it out for other scrumptious ideas!