Last night I went to a screening of the The Mask You Live In put together by Jennifer Siebel Newsom who had huge success with her last documentary, Misrepresentation. I have to say, I woke up this morning very early and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. I’ve been debating with people, mainly men all morning and I think the only answer is that people need to see this documentary for themselves.
The film follows boys and young men as they struggle with the pressure to “man up”, or “be a man”. Since the beginning of time, boys and men have been pressured by their surroundings to disconnect from almost all their emotions, and many are taught to resolve problems with violence.
It’s a really fascinating insight and I wanted to share a few statistics that cropped up during this documentary. Please watch this trailer and pass it on.
- Compared to girls, boys are two times more likely to flunk or drop out or school
- Compared to girls, boys are two times more likely to receive special education
- Compared to girls, boys are four times more likely to be expelled
- Every day three or more boys commit suicide
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for boys
- 93% of boys are exposed to internet porn before age
- 21% of young men use pornography every day