Finally a bit of sunshine! Now the weather is getting (a little) warmer and the days are getting brighter, I have found that I am starting to fancy lighter food. I am steering a little away from the comfort food of the winter months and craving more crunchy greens and acidic tastes but still needing the warmth of cooked dishes. This is one of my favourite spring dishes and can be adapted to incorporate some fabulous seasonal ingredients such as spring greens, cabbage and kale. The cider vinegar and tamiri add a lovely zingy flavour and I often add fresh chillies to give it a bit of a kick!
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- I red onion chopped
- 2? ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pac choi or seasonal greens
- 2 handfuls of shredded kale (1cm thick pieces)
- 2 courgettes spiralized (take a look here at spiralizers)
- 4 spring onions sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper sliced thinly
- 12 button mushrooms peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbs cider vinegar (or to taste)
- 2 tbs tamiri or soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 packet rice noodles
- Prepare all the veg. I like to slice everything thinly.
- Prepare the rice noodles to the packet instructions and drain.
- Melt the coconut oil in the wok on a medium heat.
- Add the red onion, garlic and ginger to the wok, and fry for approximately two minutes.
- Add all the rest of the veg and turn up the heat.
- Add the vinegar and tamiri and continue to fry. I don’t cook the vegetables too long as I like them crisp and they retain more nutrients that way. About 2 minutes is usually enough.
- Add in the rice noodles and toss to combine with the vegetables and liquid.
- Serve adding tamiri to taste.
The Power of The Super Green Stir Fry
Courgettes are rich in nutrients like magnesium and potassium which help normalize blood pressure and are also a great source of the antioxidant vitamin C.
Kale is a great source of protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.
Cider vinegar contains pectin which helps to sooth the digestive system.
By Annie Yates, Wild Heart Native Soul