Fresh fruit and a taste of almond make for a perfect vegan friendly loaf cake. Ideal for sharing.
Prep time 25mins, plus setting
Cooking time 2 hours 40mins
For the base
- 300ml Nut milk (cashew, almond or preferred)
- 2 ½tsp Cider vinegar
- 250g Sunflower oil
- 350g Squash, peeled and grated
- 50g Linseeds
- 85g Ground almonds
- 330g Plain rye flour
- 1 ½tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½tsp Ground ginger
- 1 x 8g Dr. Oetker Arrowroot Sachets
- 2tsp Dr. Oetker Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Natural Extract
- 300g Light muscovado sugar (sieve any lumps out)
For the frosting
- 140g (cooking) Coconut butter (put the jar in a bowl of hot water to loosen)
- 125g Icing sugar, sifted, plus 1-2tbsp
- 1 ½tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Natural Extract
- 350g Firm dairy free coconut yoghurt
For the berry topping
- 150ml Cold water
- ½tsp Dr. Oetker Vege-Gel Sachet (just under half a sachet)
- 400g Mixed berries (they can all be frozen or fresh; or 200g of them fresh to decorate and the rest frozen)
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4 then grease and double line a 20cm square tin. In a jug mix the nut milk with the vinegar and leave for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar and oil for a few mins until smooth. Mix in the squash, 1 ½tsp of the Vanilla Extract, the seeds and ground almonds. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, Arrowroot, Baking Powder and Bicarbonate of Soda, then fold into the squash mixture. Once almost combined pour in the milk and continue to fold until smooth. Scrape into the tin and bake for 40mins, turn the heat down to 150C, 130C fan, gas 2 and bake for further 2hrs (checking after 1hr 30mins), until springy and cooked through.
- For the frosting; blend the coconut butter, the icing sugar, and remaining Vanilla Extract with a stick blender until smooth, add 3tbsp of the yoghurt and blend again. Fold the remaining yoghurt into this mixture (don’t blend or it will become runny), chill for 1hour to firm up.
- For the berry topping; pour of 150ml cold water to a jug, sprinkle over the Vege-Gel and mix to dissolve. Put 200g of (or the frozen) berries into a small saucepan over a medium heat for a few mins then roughly crush with a potato masher and stir in 1-2tbsp of icing sugar. Pour in the Vege-Gel mixture, turn up the heat and simmer until almost boiling, mix well. Set aside to cool and set for around 30 mins. It should be like conserve.
- To decorate; spread the yoghurt topping over the top, drizzle over the berry topping then finish with the remaining berries.
- TIP – the cake freezes well – even decorated. Just wrap well and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Defrost somewhere cool overnight.
Recipe from Dr. Oetker