Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into long slices
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into long slices
- 2 onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 courgette/zucchini, cut into long slices
- 320g/11 ¼ oz ready-rolled sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200g/7oz sundried tomato pesto
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 30g/1oz Parmesan cheese, grated into shavings
- 1 handful of basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl, pour in the oil and turn to coat them in the oil. Spread the vegetables out onto another two large baking sheets and roast for 30-40 minutes until tender and golden in places.
- Meanwhile, unroll the pastry and place on the prepared baking sheet. Fold in the edges of the pastry to make a raised border and brush all over with egg. Bake in the top of the oven (above the vegetables) for 25 minutes until almost cooked.
- Remove the pastry from the oven. Turn the vegetables and swap the sheets round. Spoon the pesto over the top of the pastry and return it to the oven for another 5-8 minutes until risen and golden and the base is cooked and crisp.
- To assemble, arrange the roasted vegetables on top of the tart and add spoonfuls of the cream cheese. Scatter over the pine nuts, Parmesan and basil, if using, before serving.
Extracted from: Vegetarian Food for Healthy Kids © Nicola Graimes published by Nourish Books, London Paperback £12.99, commissioned photography by Tony Briscoe