Makes: about 250ml/9fl oz/1 cup sauce
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
For the Hot Chocolate Fudge Sauce
100g 3 1/2oz dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, broken into small pieces
2 tbsp cocoa powder
115g/4oz golden syrup
80ml 21/2fl oz, cup double cream
40g 1 1/2oz / 1/3 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
For the Sundae
Ice cream decorations, such as:
- crumbled meringues or biscuits
- sliced bananas or other favourite fruit
- whipped cream (this is a bit over the top but if they deserve it, then so be it!)
- popping candy/space dust
- over-the-top decorations, such as wafers, paper umbrella, sparklers, morello cherries
1. To make the fudge sauce, put the chocolate cocoa powder in a large heatproof bowl. Rest the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, so that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. (Alternatively, you can do this in the microwave in 5-second bursts on Defrost or Low.) Remove from the heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients until smooth and well blended.
2. Layer up the sundae ingredients in tall sundae glasses or ice cream bowls and add whatever decorations you like. Spoon a little of the sauce over the ice cream and serve straight away.
Lifesaver Topping – Hot Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Once you have spooned some sauce over the ice cream, leave the rest to cool, then transfer to a glass jar with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. You can serve it cold or gently heat whatever quantity you need.
Having a jar of homemade chocolate fudge sauce in your fridge is dangerous, of course as it’s very tempting to dip your finger into it every time you go into the fridge! But it will be a real hit spooned over an ice cream sundae. It’s even great as a pancake filling, poured over chocolate cake or pudding or spread on top of cupcakes.
Extracted from Madhouse Cookbook by Jo Pratt text © (2013), published by Duncan Baird Publishers, London (£20 Hardback). From Madhouse Cookbook by Jo Pratt © Commissioned Photography © Gareth Morgans/ Duncan Baird Publishers 2013
To receive your copy of Madhouse Cookbook at the special price of £15 (including postage and packing) please call Duncan Baird Publishers on 0207 454 8513 or send a cheque made payable to Watkins Publishing Ltd to Sixth Floor, Castle House, 75 Wells St, London, W1T 3QH, quoting ‘Madhouse Cookbook – Babablog.com special offer.’ Normal price of £20. All major credit and debit cards accepted. This offer applies to UK residents only.