We have an exclusive today on My Baba, with Little Dish founder Hillary Graves signing up as our latest children’s food columnist! We’re very excited to tell you that the Little Dish cookbook launched is on sale from today, in both hardcover and kindle version. We were lucky enough to have a sneak-peek of the book a couple of weeks ago. The Little Dish book is beautifully presented and well thought-out, and I’ve already tried out a few of their recipes, much to the delight of the kids. I think this book is without doubt going to be a best seller for parents around the world! A huge warm welcome to Hillary from My Baba, and I hope you guys enjoy the monthly Little Dish recipes on My Baba as much as we do!
It’s a very exciting month for us as at Little Dish HQ as our new cookbook goes on sale today. To celebrate I’m going to be giving you a sneak peek inside the book and sharing a healthy and delicious recipe every month.
I’m a big believer in getting little ones hands on with food from a young age, so every recipe will have a fun task for little helpers to help them develop their cooking skills.
First up is Aubergine Bake – a lovely vegetarian recipe that everyone in the family will enjoy. This is a great way to get young children to try a vegetable they might not have tried before. It is usually popular with children who like lasagne; the tangy tomato sauce softens the aubergines and the crispy cheese topping is a big hit.
Little helpers will love this one as they can spoon on the tomato sauce, paint the aubergines with oil and layer them with the slices of mozzarella. Here’s how…
Serves a family of four or six children.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 large aubergines
- 250g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the garlic and gently cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mixed herbs and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into 1cm thick rounds. Brush both sides with the remaining oil and sautÃ© in a non-stick frying pan over a low to medium heat, turning a few times until very soft (about 5 minutes each side). It’s important to get the aubergine as tender as possible, so take extra time if needed.
- Season the tomato sauce, to taste. Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce across the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Place about a third of the aubergines in a layer over the sauce. Cover with a layer of mozzarella (again, about a third) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat twice more, and end with a thin layer of sauce. Cover with the remaining Parmesan and bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling.
The Little Dish Family Cookbook is written by Hillary Graves and published by Little Brown, £14.99