- 100 g Dates
- 50 g Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 35 Almonds – Whole
- 1 tsp Udo’s Oil
- 15 g Raw Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 30 ml Almond Milk
- 50 g Raw Dark Chocolate – 70% min
- Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes and drain well.
- Place the 3/4 of the walnuts and all of the almonds in food processor and process until finely ground.
- Add the cacao powder and half of the sea salt and pulse to combine. Place to one side.
- Now add the dates to the food processor and process until only small bits remain.
- Return the blended nuts to the food processor and pulse until a dough consistency is achieved, adding more dates if the mixture does not hold together when squeezed in your hand.
- Add the brownie mixture to a small parchment lined dish and before pressing.
- Then press down with hands until it is flat and firm. (I like laying down a piece of plastic wrap to prevent sticking and get it really flat).
- FOR THE GANACHE: Add almond milk (or soy or coconut) to a small saucepan and gently heat, take off the heat and immediately add finely chopped dark chocolate to the warm milk and loosely cover. Don’t touch for 2 minutes so it can melt.
- Add the remaining salt and whisk to incorporate, then the Udo’s oil (coconut also works) and maple syrup and use a whisk to mix. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from fridge and spread the frosting brownies generously over the brownie mix and top with the remaining walnuts chopped up and cacao nibs (optional).
- Refrigerate again until the frosting has set and slice into even squares before serving.
**Store brownies in an airtight container to keep fresh. Will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature, or in the freezer for at least 1 month (though best when fresh**
By Amanda Hamilton, TV Nutritionist
Udo’s Choice Ultimate Oil Blend is a blend of organic, unrefined nutritional oils. Available from selected department stores, health Stores nationwide and online.