Cooking time 10-12 minutes + 2 minutes
Equipment Large baking tray, pastry cutters or cup
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- half a lemon rind and juice
- 200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50g currants
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Line a baking tray with parchment and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, grated lemon rind and juice and beat well.
- Sieve the flour and mixed spice into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir in the currants.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the thickness of 2x pound coins.
- Press a pastry cutter or cup through the dough to make 75mm/3”circles then gently lift them onto the prepared baking tray.
- Gather together the off cuts and re-roll to make further biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and brush the biscuits with egg white.
- Sprinkle caster sugar over the biscuits then return them to the oven for a further 2 minutes.
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
Recipe from Doves Farm