These animal cupcakes are perfect for party animals! Once your cakes are baked and cooled, why not create pups, pandas and cheeky monkeys? Or you can decorate them with your own favourite animals.
FOR THE CAKES
- 2 large eggs
- 100g soft butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE ICING
- 200g soft butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 300g icing sugar
- Makes 12 cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat together using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden.
4. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, to make the icing, place the butter, milk and icing sugar in a large bowl. Beat together using an electric whisk until fluffy and pale.
6. Once the cupcakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing on top and serve.
Add 25g cocoa powder to the icing and pipe it onto the cakes. Cut ear shapes out of brown fondant and add edible eyes, a jellybean nose and a piece of pink lace for a tongue.
Dip the iced cupcakes in desiccated coconut (you will need about 75g for all 12 cakes). Cut noses, mouths and oval shapes from black fondant and place edible eyes on top. Add mini Oreos for ears.
Turn the icing brown with 25g cocoa powder and ice the cakes, then dip them in chocolate sprinkles. Use half a mini Jaffa Cake for each ear, and a whole one for the face, drawing on nostrils and a mouth with black fondant. Lastly, add edible eyes.
This animal cupcakes recipe was taken from The Fun, Fast & Easy Children’s Cookbook by Annabel Karmel MBE. The book is packed with delicious, easy-to-make recipes featuring vibrant, enticing photography, tons of fascinating food facts and essential kitchen tips to get the family cooking together.
Thanks to the illustrated step-by-step instructions and Annabel’s expert advice, children are encouraged to join in, learning the basics of food preparation that will last a lifetime.
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.