Here’s a lemon drizzle cake recipe from Doves Farm.
- Makes: 1 cake
- Free from soya and nuts
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- Equipment: 1kg/2lb loaf tin, loaf liner or parchment paper, grater, zester, saucepan
- Temperature: 190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- 175g Plain White Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 lemons, unwaxed
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 75g caster sugar
- lemon juice (from above)
- 1 lemon
- 100g caster sugar
- Line a 1kg/2lb loaf tin with parchment and pre-heat the oven.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Finely grate the lemon rind, add it to the bowl and beat it in.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a jug, add water if necessary to make it up to 75ml and set this aside for the syrup.
- Beat the eggs one at a time, into the mixing bowl ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the prepared flour to the mixing bowl followed by the milk and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked. Leave the cake in its tin.
- Put the sugar into a saucepan, pour on the reserved jug of lemon juice and bring to the boil shaking the pan occasionally. Simmer gently for 2 minutes to make a syrup.
- Prick all over the surface of the warm cake with a BBQ stick or skewer, pressing right through to the base of the cake.
- Pour the syrup slowly all over the surface of the cake and leave to cool in the tin.
- Place a chopping board over the cold cake tin and invert it onto the board. Remove the parchment paper.
- Using a zester, peel some strands of zest from the lemon and set these aside.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Measure the sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and stir to make the drizzle.
- Pour the drizzle over the top of the cake and spread it around the sides of the cake with a knife.
- Scatter the prepared strands of lemon zest over the cake.
Recipe from Doves Farm
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.