Makes 6 portions
- 1.5-1.6 kg (3¼ -3½ lb) chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 300 g (11 oz) baby new potatoes, scrubbed and any larger ones halved
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 200 g (7 oz) baby carrots
- 300 ml (½ pint) hot chicken stock
- 300 ml (½ pint) white wine
- 100 g (4 oz) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
- salt and black pepper
STEP ONE Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
STEP TWO Put the chicken into a large, shallow ovenproof dish or skillet. Drizzle over the olive oil, honey and lemon juice and season. Roast for 30 minutes until lightly golden brown, then add the potatoes, onion, garlic and carrots and toss to coat with the olive oil, honey and lemon in the dish around the chicken.
STEP THREE Pour the stock and wine over the vegetables, then put the dish back in the oven for a further 45 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through and the vegetables are tender (you might need to cover the chicken with foil if it is getting too brown). Add the peas and cook for a final 5 minutes.
STEP FOUR Remove from the oven and sprinkle with tarragon before serving.
Annabel Karmel’s Busy Mum’s Cookbook is out now (Ebury Press, £20).