This is sure to be a big hit with your little and big ones. I made these the other day while EC and YC were at school and then handed them to EC and his friend and told them to go and play. They had big plans for their catapult’s which they discussed while they were having a snack, apparently they were going to make a Lego city and then destroy it using the catapults. EC’s friend was slightly concerned that they might not hit the targets it the shot went too far, so we discussed how they could move the catapult further away or closer to their targets to hit them. The only rule I had was they could not be used to fire things at anybody or pet!
You will need:
- Popsicle sticks – 10 in totally
- 4 elastic bands
- Bottle lid
1.Put 8 popsicle sticks one on top of each other and wrap an elastic band around each end.
2. Place one of your spare sticks underneath your pile, and the other one on top. These should go the other way to the ones that have been put together, it should make a cross shape.
3. Using an elastic band wrap it around the middle in a figure of 8, this should secure all of them together.
4. Squeeze the two loose popsicle sticks together at one end and wrap your final band round it.
5. Add some glue to the bottom of the bottle lid and stick it to top of the catapult. Leave it to dry for a bit and then it is good to go.
They actually make really nifty catapults and shoot their loads quite far. This would be a wonderful addition to small world play involving battles.