Food / 30 October, 2019 / My Baba
Delicious Pork Spring Rolls
Roll up, roll up… make yourself some of these delicious, crisp little parcels packed with Thai flavours and sprinkled with sesame seeds. They are perfect served hot or cold with a bowl of chilli dipping sauce.
- 250g/9oz low-fat minced/ground pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ready-grated wet ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 spring onions/scallions
- 1 carrot
- 30g/1oz/½ cup fresh coriander/ cilantro leaves
- 8 sheets of filo/phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Put the pork in a mixing bowl and add the soy sauce, ginger and cornflour/cornstarch. Mix well with a fork.
- Top and tail the spring onions/scallions, using scissors (see Top and tail, page 13). Cut the white parts into small rings and add to the bowl.
- Carefully grate the carrot (see Grate, page 12), then add it to the bowl. Chop the coriander/cilantro in a cup, using scissors (see Chop, page 11). Add it to the bowl and stir everything together well with a spoon.
- Divide the mixture into 8 pieces the same size. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment (see Line, page 12).
- Lay out a sheet of pastry and gently dab it with oil, using the pastry brush. Fold in half along the long side to make a smaller rectangle. Dab with oil again. Now put one of the pieces of pork mix on a bottom corner and roll up diagonally, folding in the extra pastry on each side so you make a small sausage of pastry. Dab the top with oil. Put the parcel on the baking sheet with the join at the bottom. Do the same for the other 7 spring rolls. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds.
- Ask your adult to put the baking sheet in the oven, using oven gloves. Bake for 20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden and the middle is cooked.
Recipe from The World in my Kitchen: Global recipes for kids to discover and cook by Sally Brown and Kate Morris.
Lorraine Pascale’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Zebra Cake
Vietnamese-Style Vegetable Noodle Salad
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.