Food / 10 May, 2017 / My Baba
Satay Steak with Cucumber Ribbons
Bring a little sweet and spice to your griddle (or barbecue) with these juicy steak skewers served with lashings of spicy satay sauce, cool cucumber strips and salty peanuts. Kecap manis is a sticky and sweet soy sauce from the world food section of the supermarket. Taste satays-faction guaranteed!
Serves 2 as main or 4 as a starter (You will need 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water)
- 400g rib-eye steak, chopped into bite-sized chunks
For the satay sauce
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1-2 red chillies, halved and deseeded
- ½ stem of lemongrass
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and toasted sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce Zest and juice of ½ lime
- 150g crunchy peanut butter
- 50ml coconut milk, plus extra
- ½ cucumber
- 25g salted peanuts
- A handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Put the garlic, chillies, lemongrass and ginger into a small food-processor and whizz until ï¬nely chopped. Place into a large bowl and stir in the remaining satay sauce ingredients except the coconut milk. Transfer half of the mixture into a bowl, add the steak and stir to evenly coat. Set aside until needed.
- Put the remaining satay mixture into a saucepan with the coconut milk and heat gently while stirring, until the sauce is warmed through and begins to darken a little. Add more coconut milk or water if you need to: you want a smooth, dipping consistency.
- Preheat the grill of the oven. Evenly thread the steak onto the skewers and place onto a lightly oiled baking tray. Grill for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred on the edges and cooked to your liking.
- Using a peeler or mandoline, peel long strips from the cucumber, then roughly chop the salted peanuts.
- Serve the skewers with the cucumber ribbons, peanuts, coriander and lime wedges and the satay sauce for dipping.
Recipes taken from ‘The Goodness of Nuts and Seeds’ (Kyle Books) by Natalie Seldon, available now, RRP £9.99