Food / 27 March, 2019 / My Baba
Delicious Spiced Apple Cake With Cinnamon and Lemon Zest – It’s A Fruity Delight!
- Oil, for spraying
- 750g Bramley cooking apples
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Fnely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 250g self-raising ï¬‚our
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 large eggs
- 100g demerara sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100ml sunï¬‚ower oil
- ½ tsp sifted icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line a 23cm springclip cake tin with baking parchment. Mist the base and sides with oil.
- Peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Remove the cores and cut the apples into thin slices – you’ll need about 500g prepared weight. Put the apple slices in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and zest.
- Mix the ï¬‚our, baking powder, cinnamon and spice in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs with the 100g of sugar, the milk and sunï¬‚ower oil in a separate medium bowl using a large metal whisk. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring lightly until combined – use the whisk to break up any stubborn lumps. Toss the lemony apples through the cake batter until evenly mixed and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar evenly over the top and bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour until it is well risen and golden on top. Test the cake by inserting a skewer into the centre – it should slide easily through the apples in the middle and come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin and carefully peeling oï¬€ the baking parchment. Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve warm or cold with a little single cream or half-fat crÃ¨me fraiche.
- This cake is deliciously moist, so it’s best to keep it wrapped in foil and eat it within a couple of days. It is quite large, so if you want to keep yourself from being tempted to eat too much, you could cut the cake into quarters and freeze some for another time. Wrapped tightly, it will freeze well for 3 months. Defrost the cake fully before serving and warm it through in a low oven or a microwave if you like.
Recipe By The Hairy Bikers