- 4 slices of white bread
- 50g butter, room temp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 slices Leerdammer
- Coriander, to garnish
- Mash the butter with the garlic, salt, spices and half of the spring onion and chillies. Spread one side of all the slices of bread with the spiced butter. Heat the grill to its highest setting and grill the bread, buttered side up, until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the grill and butter the other side of all the slices, topping two of the just-buttered sides with the sliced Leerdammer. Scatter over the remaining spring onion and chilli, and sandwich with the grilled, crunchy side of the two other slices, so the just-buttered side is facing up.
- Place the sandwiches under the grill, buttered-side up and grill for a few more mins, until the bread is crisp and golden, and the cheese inside is melted nicely.
Recipe by Leerdammer