According to the NHS, you can start to think about your baby’s weaning journey from six months onwards. It’s important to remember that some babies will be ready to wean sooner than others.
What are the signs my baby is ready to wean?
The typical signs your baby is ready for food include being able to sit up independently, being able to reach out for food, hold it, and put it in their mouths themselves. Baby should most importantly, be able to swallow food – instead of spitting food back out.
Quick five tips for weaning
- How much baby eats is less important than getting them used to the idea of eating, as they’ll still continue to receive all the nutrients and daily calories they need from their milk.
- Try different tastes and textures. It’s wise to introduce one food at a time in case of any intolerances. Always bear in mind that it can take a baby up to ten tries to get used to a new food/flavour.
- Let your baby explore their food, by touching and holding. Keep distractions to a minimum to keep them focussed.
- Let them copy you – try to eat at the same time as baby so they can see you using your cutlery.
- Do not add sugar or salt to your baby’s food (including gravy and stock cubes)
Here are some great products to get you and your baby started:
Up and Down Highchair, Beaba
Baby Bib, BabyBjorn
Skip Hop Storage Containers, Amazon
First Cups, Babycup
Glass Meal Set, Beaba
Roll Up Bib, OXO Tot
Silicone Multiportions, Beaba
Plate, Spoon & Fork Set, BabyBjorn
Mash Maker Baby Food Mill, OXO Tot
3D Silicone Bib, Nuby
Zoo Snack Cup, Amazon
Skip Hop Travel Bowl and Spoon, Amazon
Training Spoons and Forks, Amazon
Stackable Suction Bowls, Nuby
Rice Cooker, Beaba
Insulated Food Jar, Amazon
Tripp Trapp with Tray, Stokke
Skip Hop Grab and Go Container, Amazon
Skip Hop Melamine Set, AlexandAlexa
The Babycook Duo, Beaba
Musy Muslin Squares, Blue Almonds
High Chair, BabyBjorn
Food Freezer Tray, OXO Tot
Sit to Step High Chair, Skip Hop
Silicone Plate, Nuby
Feeding Spoon Set With Soft Silicone, OXO Tot
For competitions and offers from our favourite brands, click here.